New Job, Strange Dream
Yesterday I went to my orientation day at my new job. It's with an upscale restaurant in the area, and I'm looking forward to the experience. They couldn't seem to decide where to put me. At first it was busing and hostessing, then it was running the espresso bar (fitting, since I have almost 4 years of coffee experience), and now it's expediting from 5-11 and busing after that. Expediting, which I'd never heard of before, is the job of the person who organizes all the orders as they're made, puts plates together, and calls the waiters to let them know that their order is up. It will be different than anything I've done before, and I'm a little nervous. I have my first day tomorrow, from 5pm to 3am. Talk about a long shift, phew.
This place has the most interesting way of punching in and out that I have ever seen. They have this little scanner, no more than 1" by 2", that takes a picture of the tip of your index finger and matches it to your employee file. This, the manager explained to me, is less time consuming than paper punches, is less wasteful, and also stops other people from punching in and out for their friends. Isn't that just wild? Technology.
I had the strangest dream last night. I was back at home and walking through the neighbourhood with Mum and all the daycare kiddies, when we passed this house that had a sign up that read "kittens, $3.00". Naturally we went in since I want to get a kitten. An elderly woman answered the door and explained that the woman who owned the kittens wasn't in, but would be arriving shortly on the bus if we'd care to wait. There were only two tabby kittens left and they were playing and romping with each other. I decided that I couldn't separate them, and after begging Mum she finally consented (apparently I was living at home, and not just visiting). We waited for the woman and ended up paying $30 for the $6 kittens, and I tucked them both into my parka (don't want them freezing in the summer weather), and we went on our merry way. It was only as we reached home and I went to let them out of my parka that I realized they weren't kittens at all, but Super Nintendo controllers. How strange.
The first thing I thought when I woke up was: "I hope I didn't take that $30 out of my account, because then my cheque will bounce". Then I realized that the phone was ringing, so I picked it up. Who was it?? Bad Date Guy! A few minutes of awkward conversation, he asked if I wanted to go out again this weekend, I said I was busy all weekend (which I am), and he pointed out that since I work weekends and he works nights during the week there is really no time for us to ever go out again. Well darn, eh?
I got a response back from my manager at the on-campus coffee place I work at over the year, and he said that he's not doing the schedule until the last couple weeks of August, but that he can guarantee me at least 15 hours, more if I want them. Hurrah! I feel somewhat bad letting the people at the restaurant assume that I'm staying on in the fall, but if I'd told them I was leaving in a month they never would have hired me.
This place has the most interesting way of punching in and out that I have ever seen. They have this little scanner, no more than 1" by 2", that takes a picture of the tip of your index finger and matches it to your employee file. This, the manager explained to me, is less time consuming than paper punches, is less wasteful, and also stops other people from punching in and out for their friends. Isn't that just wild? Technology.
I had the strangest dream last night. I was back at home and walking through the neighbourhood with Mum and all the daycare kiddies, when we passed this house that had a sign up that read "kittens, $3.00". Naturally we went in since I want to get a kitten. An elderly woman answered the door and explained that the woman who owned the kittens wasn't in, but would be arriving shortly on the bus if we'd care to wait. There were only two tabby kittens left and they were playing and romping with each other. I decided that I couldn't separate them, and after begging Mum she finally consented (apparently I was living at home, and not just visiting). We waited for the woman and ended up paying $30 for the $6 kittens, and I tucked them both into my parka (don't want them freezing in the summer weather), and we went on our merry way. It was only as we reached home and I went to let them out of my parka that I realized they weren't kittens at all, but Super Nintendo controllers. How strange.
The first thing I thought when I woke up was: "I hope I didn't take that $30 out of my account, because then my cheque will bounce". Then I realized that the phone was ringing, so I picked it up. Who was it?? Bad Date Guy! A few minutes of awkward conversation, he asked if I wanted to go out again this weekend, I said I was busy all weekend (which I am), and he pointed out that since I work weekends and he works nights during the week there is really no time for us to ever go out again. Well darn, eh?
I got a response back from my manager at the on-campus coffee place I work at over the year, and he said that he's not doing the schedule until the last couple weeks of August, but that he can guarantee me at least 15 hours, more if I want them. Hurrah! I feel somewhat bad letting the people at the restaurant assume that I'm staying on in the fall, but if I'd told them I was leaving in a month they never would have hired me.
