Superheroes
Someone recently asked me who my favourite superhero was. When I replied, “Batman”, he scoffed and said, “Batman wasn’t a superhero – he didn’t have any powers”. That is exactly what I like about Batman. Out of all the superheroes created, Batman was the only real man. Lets look at the list of superheroes and how they got their powers:
Superman – from a distant planet
Spiderman – bit by a radioactive spider
The Incredible Hulk – exposed to gamma radiation
Daredevil – exposed to radiation
X-men – born mutants
…and then there’s Batman, a wealthy philanthropist, but otherwise without powers.
Superheroes are meant to inspire and provide motivation people to do right and help make the world a better place. They are there to provide the ultimate upwards social comparison. Psychology tells us that social comparisons can affect how we feel about ourselves, and role models represent the goals of self-improvement. Role models are only motivating if the achievement is attainable, otherwise they can have a deprecating effect on self-esteem.
Lets face facts: I’m not from another planet, I will never turn into a superhero by being exposed to radiation, and I certainly don’t want to believe that I was born a freak. Do I want to go about my days believing that I am without the necessary powers to do good? Do I want to believe that simply because I was born mortal and without the ability to fly, outrun a speeding bullet, or swing from buildings on spider webs, that I can not contribute in any noticeable way to society? Certainly not.
So I’ll never have these superpowers. I may take on Batman’s approach and support the underprivileged classes by other means. I may become wealthy enough to support modern-day heroic feats, such as providing social assistance to the needy, or funding to life-saving research. Even if not truly wealthy I can become a foster parent, or give some small amount to charity. I may become an activist and speak out on behalf of the overlooked and forgotten. Would these acts not make me a hero to some or to many? Yes, with the right role model, I could become a hero and right role model is obviously Batman.
Superman – from a distant planet
Spiderman – bit by a radioactive spider
The Incredible Hulk – exposed to gamma radiation
Daredevil – exposed to radiation
X-men – born mutants
…and then there’s Batman, a wealthy philanthropist, but otherwise without powers.
Superheroes are meant to inspire and provide motivation people to do right and help make the world a better place. They are there to provide the ultimate upwards social comparison. Psychology tells us that social comparisons can affect how we feel about ourselves, and role models represent the goals of self-improvement. Role models are only motivating if the achievement is attainable, otherwise they can have a deprecating effect on self-esteem.
Lets face facts: I’m not from another planet, I will never turn into a superhero by being exposed to radiation, and I certainly don’t want to believe that I was born a freak. Do I want to go about my days believing that I am without the necessary powers to do good? Do I want to believe that simply because I was born mortal and without the ability to fly, outrun a speeding bullet, or swing from buildings on spider webs, that I can not contribute in any noticeable way to society? Certainly not.
So I’ll never have these superpowers. I may take on Batman’s approach and support the underprivileged classes by other means. I may become wealthy enough to support modern-day heroic feats, such as providing social assistance to the needy, or funding to life-saving research. Even if not truly wealthy I can become a foster parent, or give some small amount to charity. I may become an activist and speak out on behalf of the overlooked and forgotten. Would these acts not make me a hero to some or to many? Yes, with the right role model, I could become a hero and right role model is obviously Batman.
