mantra

Thursday, August 04, 2005

A Busy Thursday

I woke up this morning at 8:00, which is surprisingly early for me these days. It's hard to get up when you work until 3 am! I picked up the apartment a bit since Fox, our cleaning guy, was coming in today. He does floors, counters, and bathrooms, but not if there's stuff on them. Then Rumble and I watched the morning news while I ate cream of wheat cereal and he pawed at the bowl trying to get me to give him some. He failed. His digestive system is messed up enough adjusting to the food I have from the stuff he was given at the shelter. He doesn't need any human food to bung things up further.
Then three things happened at once. The landlord came through to show some people the apartment, the phone rang, and Fox showed up. Ah! Opened the door, grabbed the phone, said hello, and opened the door again. The phone was Luke calling to say he was on his way to pick me up. He kindly offered to drive me to the dentist on his way to work (mostly, I think, to show off his brand new car).
The landlord left with touring people in tow, Fox chatted away with me about the addition to his septic system he put in last week, I scooped up Rumble out of his way, and there was a knock at the door. I open the door, Rumble still in hand, and Fox still chatting away in the background (he goes a mile a minute), and there's Luke. Luke exclaims, "Oh! Kitty!", and takes Rumble from me, and I return to the living room to politely end my conversation with Fox. I return to Luke who is now totally engrossed in playing with and cuddling Rumble. Luke is very much a cat person. He has one already and is probably getting a kitten in the fall. I gently wrested Rumble away from him and offered to shut Rumble in a room while Fox was cleaning so he wouldn't get in the way. Fox proclaimed that wasn't necessary, and that he'd be careful around him. Luke made a comment about watching where he vacuumed, and Fox laughingly said, "I didn't say I'd be that careful!", and I, making jokes about knowing where to look if I was missing a cat upon return, ushered Luke out the door, promising him that he could come play with Rumble another day.
I then had to ooh and ah over Luke's new car (don't ask me what kind, I don't remember), and make the appropriate appreciative noises over his masculine gear shifting and the like. I didn't mind; it is, after all a beautiful car - and brand new. He picked it up at the dealership this morning and it still had that new car smell. His first car, and he was positively child-like in his enthusiasm. Got me to the dentist early, promised to call me when he got back from this 2-3 day trip, and off he went in his shiny black car.
I did some shopping since I was early. Nothing exciting, just some socks (okay, and a Cosmo magazine - but I had to read something in the waiting room!). I'm running low for some reason. Then I went to the dentist. It was probably the best experience I have had at a dentist, except that they were almost 45 minutes behind. He was very calm and applied the freezing. Normally when I get frozen it takes a long time to kick in, and even then I still feel it. This time it was almost instantaneous, and I felt nothing afterwards, despite the fact that they did about 1 & 1/4 hours of work in there. It all went off without a hitch.
I took the bus home and Rumble was waiting for me at the door. He then spent the next 15 minutes scolding me and rubbing himself between my legs. No doubt he'll do the same thing when I return from this computer lab outing. I seem to live at the computer lab these days. News on the laptop: they had to ship some parts, so I won't have it until next week. Oh well. Another week of the lab won't kill me.
That's been my day. How thrilling, eh?