mantra

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Mark Twain

One of my very favourite sources for quotes is Mark Twain. Everybody knows him as an author, but the man has said some truly strange things in his lifetime. Here's a sample I thought I would share:

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

All generalizations are false, including this one.

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities.

"Classic". A book which people praise but don't read.

Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.

Familiarity breeds contempt - and children.

I make it a rule never to smoke while I'm sleeping.

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.

It usually takes me more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.

Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

And my personal favourite:

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.