mantra

Friday, December 02, 2005

Winter Cometh

The buzzer in the apartment went off at just after nine this morning. My roommate answered it, and it was Purolator, bringing me a delivery. Birthdays birthdays. I got up, and received my package, and decided I might as well shower. An hour later I'm dressed, more awake, and sitting again in my room. I have no classes to go to as they are over for the exam period. Now I have only to study. Joy of joys.

Outside there is a thin layer of icy snow lying over everything. There seems to be a strong wind, and I'm willing to bet that it's a cold one. Right now it's 2 degrees below Celsius. It's been hovering around -7 or -8 (19 and 17 F) the last few days. We've also got snowsquall warnings in effect. Blowing snow, lovely.

Inside is delightfully warm. I've recently discovered the joys of living on the fifth floor of a large apartment building: you never have to turn on the heat. It has remained a steady 24 degrees (75 F) inside all week, and we are paying for naught a degree of it. All those poor suckers living in the lower floors are unwittingly heating us as well.

Jackie and I are planning on doing a little shopping today. I just love the malls at this time of year. I love the decorations, and the endless Christmas carols. I have to wonder though, why is it that Christmas carols in the malls are fine, but city officials cringe at calling a decorated tree a "Christmas Tree". Q wrote on the subject, and I remember a similar thing happening at home, at the town hall just a few steps down from my high school. As an anthropologist, events like this make me sigh. Sometimes it seems like we're all too keen to hide, ignore, and punish our culture. Yes, multiculturalism is wonderful, but it doesn't preclude the expression of Christian tradition. That's a talk for another day, perhaps.

My father kindly sent me some pictures of Rumble, back home with the family.

Here we can see him cozying up on the printer, no doubt a warm spot in the cool house.

And here he is peering into the microwave. You can just see it: "What's cooking?"

And my very favourite. My kitten thinks he's a receipt.