mantra

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Etta James: Thug Luva.

OH MY GOD!

Tonight was just amazing. AMAZING.

To start with, the concert grounds were more packed than I have seen them so far. You could not move an inch without stepping on someone. Add to that fact that we were incredibly short staffed at our beer tent, so we were just flying to get orders out. At one point I was responsible for all four taps and I was moving faster than lightening.

When that rush was over R, our tent manager, comes over to me and he says, "I think you've earned something special", and hands me a pass to the gold circle. I just about flipped out with joy. I pushed and shoved my way through the crowds, all the whilst yelling excuse me's and sorry's, and finally made it to the gold circle. I got to watch Etta James for 20 minutes, only 2 feet away from her.

She is so talented! So passionate! So gifted! Her voice is spectacular, she has such an incredible stage presence, and only Etta James could get away with wearing a black tank top with the words "THUG LUVA" beadazeled on it.

I just about died and went to heaven right there. And then, when I got back to the tent it had calmed down some, and then last call came, and there was beer poured that hadn't been served, so one of the head managers came over and gave us each a beer. It was, of course, highly illegal, but that just made it that much more sweet.

What a perfect night.