mantra

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Stolen Internet Updates!

Hey guys! I'm stealing internet from someone near campus. Just to let you know, frosh starts tomorrow morning (6am!) and I'll be going crazy until Sunday, the day of rest. Serving at the restaurant is going super, and I'm loving the frosh week prep. I wrote some stuff earlier and saved it to a word file...so here's the updates!

August 31st:

The move went fairly spectacularly. Jackie and I were up this morning at 7am and moved a bunch of boxes down to the front lawn to wait for her aunts and uncle with the two trucks. I finally got to meet these relatives of hers that she talks about, and I have to say, they’re pretty awesome.

We got everything into the new place by 11ish, and her aunt scrubbed our kitchen for us (yay them!) while we went back and got the last of the stuff. I’d decided that if I could take a half day off from training that I could take a full day off from training, so I stayed and Jackie and I unpacked until about…oh…6pm before stopping for food, which was interesting, considering that we don’t have a stove. That came as a surprise, but we have leftovers, a microwave, a kettle, and a grill, so we can do without pretty well. Then we unpacked some more!

Now I’m going to crash, since I’m up early tomorrow morning for training.

September 1st:

We’re still without internet for another four days. I was going to log in at school, but then I realized that I’ve forgotten my password. I haven’t had time to go down to IT and get them to reset it. They have this new system where passwords are only good for a certain number of months (I think it’s four – a term), but it screwed up on me and kept requiring I change it every week, so needless to say I forgot it over the summer, and now it’s expired anyways. Sigh. I don’t know why they can’t just let me keep my password the same.

We had mock mock serving at training today. No, that’s not a typo. That means that we had six servers go up at a time and everyone else sat down as guests. Then we took orders like normal, only brought them water and empty plates instead of real food. It was more just to get a feel for the speed of it, and the computer system. Of course, everyone else had been trained on the computer system yesterday, the day that I missed. I caught on pretty quick. The system is pretty much foolproof, but I did have to ask some questions. Everyone is nice and helpful though.

Then we had a food showcase. While we’d been running around with glasses of water and empty plates, the kitchen had been busy making two of everything on the menu. They laid it all out for us, and we got to see each thing, hear about it from the head chef/kitchen manager, and then sample it.

Tomorrow is the real mock serving, where we have other, non-staff people come in and order real food, and we run it just like a normal business day, except they don’t pay. I’m excited and nervous all at the same time.

Also, it’s only 9:30, and I’m seriously thinking about bedtime. Sigh. These days are running me pretty thin!