mantra

Thursday, October 19, 2006

In my dream country...

I had an interesting conversation with a very interesting person who also has it in his head to be a university prof some day. We were discussing the frustration of having to consistently suffer through lectures dumbed down enough for the lowest common denominator, and the pressure put upon profs to ensure that their lectures reach everyone. I've also had similar conversations with some of my professors, who say that it is a huge concern of theirs, but also that it's made worth while by those students who are visibly passionate about the subject.

While I understand that university is a time for everyone to expand their horizons, and that some horizons start a little narrower or broader than others, I can't help but think that there are definitely some people who shouldn't be here. Or people who, although perhaps can handle the workload and are interested, need guidance as to appropriate participation.

There are those people who ask the stupidest questions possible. A real life example being, "for this research question do we have to use sources, or is it just supposed to be our opinion?" That one had me smacking my head on the chair in front of me and resisting the urge to leap across the lecture hall and strangle them. Are you kidding me?!? Do you have to do research for a research question?!?

There are people who treat every lecture as if they are the only ones in the hall, responding to every point or question the prof makes without raising their hand, and talk endlessly in complete oblivion to the several hundred people all shooting them death glares and groaning when they begin to speak. This is made infinitely worse by the fact that these people very rarely have anything of value to contribute and clearly just like hearing the sound of their own voice.

I've had similar conversations with Mum, and I have to say that I think she was seriously on to something when she said that postsecondary education should be free - but only to those who pass a screening process (grades and interviews). Think of how many problems this would solve. Classes would be full of people who were dedicated and entirely sure that this is where they both desired to be and belonged. Professors would have the delight of teaching to lecture halls where people were actually doing the readings and not just filling space. Undergraduates would no longer be burdened by thousands of dollars of debt. Corporations would have to stop requiring university degrees for jobs that absolutely do not require university education. It'd be sheer genius. Will it happen? Probably not, but it sure is nice to dream about...