mantra

Saturday, November 18, 2006

MBA Swinger Students

Today I went in to work. I wasn't supposed to work today, but my manager wrote all the servers a frantic email asking for more staff because they had some sort of large function. "Heck," I said to myself, "it's not like I could really be any more busy, why not?!?" I took the shift, and went in to work today for 2pm. The function turned out to be more of a hostile taking-over by somewhere in the order of 70-80 MBA students who proceeded to move all the tables in the restaurant around, yet not actually sit anywhere for longer than 5 minutes at a stretch, and still expect to receive their meals and bills in a timely and organized manner.

I eventually got one group of 10 of them to sit down at a table and stay there, and they ordered pitcher after pitcher of beer, while the other half of the table ran up and down to the bar ordering more beer and more cocktails. Using this table as my anchor, I did rounds in the restaurant alternately clearing dishes and telling people that "No, I can NOT let you order from me unless you SIT DOWN AT A TABLE!!!" I eventually just cashed out that one table and hid in the back doing expo and dish pit, since the management team had (for some strange reason) brought on 5 extra servers but no hostess, no expediter, and no dish washer. Priorities? Logic? Bah!

On one of my runs from the expo line to the tables, I had the following delightful conversation with a man who I would peg at about 36 who I had seen split about 5 pitchers of beer with his three companions in stupidity in just under an hour (read: WASTED)...

"Hey, my wife thinks you're pretty." (accompanied by giggling from who I can only assume was the wife)
"Oh, um, thank you -er- her?"
"What time do you get off work?" (accompanied by further giggling from the wife and many suggestive facial expressions from the speaker)
"Oh. Wow. Okay. I'm going to walk away now and pretend you didn't just ask that."

Whereupon I walked away and caught my student manager laughing incredulously before kicking out the idiot harasser and his giggly-airhead wife.

Recap: 3 hours of work, $6 in tips, 1 request for swinging. An interesting day...