mantra

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Holiday Meme

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Egg nog! But better yet, real mulled apple cider - not from a can/jar - brewed right on the stove in a giant pot with floating cinnamon sticks and apple rings.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
He used to wrap them, and had his own paper too, different from Mum's.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Coloured are more festive, but there's something so serene about white lights. It's a toss up really.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Mum does. I have fond memories of sneaking around it to avoid kisses. Back in the days when kisses were to be avoided and people had cooties.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
The lights are up already in my apartment and the little table top tree would be up if it wasn't in Ottawa. Alas.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Cranberry sauce. Okay, yes, I understand that it is really a condiment, but not when you eat it like I do. Turkey is just an excuse for cranberry sauce.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
All the Christmas eve and mornings kind of blur together, but I always think of Adam, Emma and I bunking in the same room with mattresses on the floor of one of our rooms so that we can gossip and giggle into the night and wake up at the crack of dawn together to get our stockings.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I have no idea. I'm not even sure when we started doing Santa, although I have a feeling that it was never something we did that committedly. Mum?

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Some years we do, but I kind of prefer not.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
I sort out the tangles lights, as per tradition, and find the dead bulbs via a complicated process I've perfected over the years. Adam, Emma, and I each put our own ornaments on, and Mum places her angel on the top. Q helps, or watches and takes pictures, according to the spirit.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
I like soft, wet snow that melts on your skin and makes fantastic snowballs and snowmen. Other than that, it can go away.

12. Can you ice skate?
Yes, provided I don't need to stop, turn, or go particularly fast.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
The ones that immediately leap into mind are my gameboy, my first CD walkman, and my doll house, but really I don't think I have a favourite, and I'm not sure why those in particular stick out.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Christmas Eve with my family. Our traditional supper, and singing, and reading, and quiet family closeness. I look forward to it every year, especially this one.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
mint flavoured meringue, so light and yummy.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Oh, darn, I guess that's also kind of the answer to 14. Hummm.

17. What tops your tree?
Mum's angel. Much better than that tacky frosted star we used to have and I loved, for some unknown pre-tasteful (by which I mean before I had taste) reason.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Giving!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Gloria, even if it is in Latin and I probably screw it up every time I sing it. It's still so pretty. Either that or O Holy Night, just like my Mum. Both very powerful hymns.

-------

Thanks to everyone who wished me a happy birthday. I had a fantastic day.